My dad would put one of the snow tires on the old Chevy. We called them knobbies There was only one drive wheel. No posi-traction in those days. A piece of heavy plywood was stood up and braced about 6 ft back back.

All the other wheels were chocked. Dad would start the engine, put it low gear and set the throttle so the wheel was turning pretty good clip.

Us kids took turns throwing the gathered walnuts under the wheel and some would be back at the plywood gathering them up Never gather he walnuts until after the first frost. The wheel would shuck those husk of pretty slick.Then we would put them up on the shed roof to dry.Probably did a half a dozen or so bushels each year.

We would spend many winter nights down in the garage cracking walnuts with a ball peen hammer on a piece of railroad iron, then digging out the meat.I still remember that black walnut chocolate fudge my mother use to make around the holidays
We felt especially lucky if we found a hickory tree that the squirrels hadn't pilfered all the nuts yet.

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles