I played all the classics... obviously the William Tell overture and 1812 overture were favorites along with others. I started the violin in forth grade, Dad and Mom were big in square dancing and wanted me to be a fiddler. I could do that but as a violinist the classics are where it's at.

7th grade started Jr high, our instructor/conductor Mr Englesman was a task master, perfectionist, had an ego. As well he should. he was first chair, first string violin of the Phoenix orchestra... means he was the best... could play any instrument and nationally known. Besides school he would book us all over and many events. He was arrogant and not easy to please or get along with. I thought I got rid of him when I moved to High school in the 10th grade... he came in to class at the end of the year and announced he was moving to the high school, so I had him for 6 years.

In orchestra there are first string violin and second string violin, they play different parts at the same time, first string is a bit harder, second string a bit easier but both important. First chair of each section leads all those behind them.

In high school I was first chair, second string. Mr Englesman said I was plenty good enough for middle of the pack in first string but would I accept first chair of second string, as my timing, rhythm and form were perfect to lead. So that's were I played for 3 years.

Jr and Sr years he got us in national competitions, we took first in San Francisco once, second a lot of times. We were damn good, not just the average squeeky school orchestra.

Best place we played was Grady Gammage at ASU, Frank Lloyd Wright designed and the acoustics are unreal. It was a national competition. Mr Englesman said before the event we wouldn't come in first, as these events favor out of state competitors because they have to travel so far... we were local. 1812 overture, and when that last note ended and moved around that hall, the hairs in my neck stood up and a tingle down the spine, a standing ovation... we knew we were the best.

I don't like classic music to listen to... but it was different playing it, being part of it, working for it, at a high level.

Kent