Originally Posted by kaywoodie
My bestus compadre lived at the Texas School for the Blind in Austin. His dad was the maintenance supervisor and they lived on campus in a nice little cottage. Rockin’ you knew him! The campus then was the old 1890’s bldgs. Man it was great when I went to stay with him. During high school they move out to the old home place and he went to Hight School in Round Rock. But they moved back to the school after we graduated.
The cottages had been either moved or had other staff living in them so they moved into the old infirmary bldg. i had my own room there! It was freaking awesome. Right out of the 1890’s!!! Big downstairs kitchen dining room and maybe 15 other rooms. I was upstairs!

Cool Bob! I’ve been by that place, but it was years ago.

My best friend grew up on the grounds of the Abilene State School.
His Dad was the Business Mgr, And they and the Superintendent lived in two huge old houses on the grounds.
It was on over a section of land, because they were originally self contained little cities where they farmed their own vegetables and raised their own livestock for food. It had its own Power Plant, and a bunch of underground steam tunnels for the Heat for the whole place.
We explored the heck out of them when we were kids.
Also, even though it was on the edge the City Limits, we hunted, Turkey, doves, quail, and all the varmints at will.
The place had an old Cemetery where they used to bury the residents back when it was a Epilepsy Colony originally.
We’d take our girlfriends there in HS and scare the schitt out of them by having another friend jump out of a hole that looked like a grave.
Did it once on an eerie full moon foggy night with a group of about 10 guys and their dates. One of our friends, who had never been there and wasn’t in on the joke, screamed like a little girl and ran about a mile before we caught up to him, laughing our asses off. SOB still hates us to this day. 😬

Last edited by chlinstructor; 10/23/21.

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston
Texans, "We say Grace, We Say Mam, If You Don't Like it, We Don't Give a Damn!"

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~