FWIW, I’ve used Pyrodex RS and Select, and 777 in caplocks. Pyrodex was harder to light with #11s, and I gave up on it pretty quickly and went back to BP. Later I tried 777 and liked the way it shot and found it easy to ignite, but sometimes it goes bad, clumping up in the jug and failing to burn properly. This was in properly closed and stored containers, before anyone starts about THAT. I know how to store powder. Since other 777 stored in the same place was fine, I have to assume it’s a manufacturing issue with some lots. Have some right now that’s a couple years old, and will find out soon how it’s lasted. This is a widely known issue, and perhaps they’ve corrected it.

Good thing about 777 is it is powerful and accurate. Bad thing is the crud ring it forms, in all its many forms apparently, but that’s not an issue for hunting, and only a minor issue for target shooting. If BP is unavailable, 777 is what I’d use. Keep that crud ring brushed or patched out, and you can keep on shooting. For hunting, I’d make damn sure the batch I was using was good very shortly before going out. I’ll use up what I have left, and then it’ll be BP only in my musket as long as I can get it.

BH209 needs a hot ignition, some compression, and a projectile that provides some bore resistance. You need hot primers, caps need not apply, so without some trickery it’s not applicable here.

There are some other new subs, but I’ve not investigated them as yet.

What fresh Hell is this?