Originally Posted by Jordan Smith
Originally Posted by clockwork_7mm
Originally Posted by Jordan Smith
Originally Posted by Fotis
I worked up a load for my 300 rum using this bullet. It absolutely loves it although it's extremely finicky with other bullets. My question is the following. I hunt in a place that shots can be taken from 50 to 500 yards on elk. I want to know whether somebody have shot an elk relatively close but high speed and if this bullet stayed together. I have no doubt it will do well at long range but I'm asking about short range.

I've seen the 7mm 180 ELD from a 7WSM started at 2950 fps used on a bull moose at ~30 meters. The frontal shot (slightly quartering) penetrated about 4 feet and exited the offside near the last rib. I've also seen the .308 208 AM fired from a .300 WM penetrate and hold together on bull moose at about 120 yards. The recovered bullet looked like a typical mushroomed C&C.

My personal solution is to load a TTSX/LRX for close-range shooting (I hunt with a mag full of these), and if a longer shot presents itself I almost always have time to put a couple of rounds of the AM/ELD into the mag and take the shot.

Jordan - just curious, why not take a longer shot with the LRX?

It depends on the situation, but expansion and wind are two reasons I might want to slide in an ELD or two instead of taking a longer shot with the LRX. In my rifles, I zero at 100 m with the AM/ELD, and the TTSX/LRX load almost always ends up being 1-3 MOA high and within about 1 MOA of center in windage, which works well for point-and-shoot work out to 300-400 meters, or so.

That’s about what I do with BBCs. No real need for them but they work well 400 on in. I spend a bit of time matching speeds for them and checking out to 400. It’s an old habit that Bob taught me.

Semper Fi