Originally Posted by beretzs
Originally Posted by Jordan Smith
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
The barnes bullets seem to produce fine accuracy, but I'm wondering why a lot of guys say you need to run them way off the lands (.100"+). I've tried from .025" - .100" off and find that I achieve better accuracy/precision with the bullet closer to the lands (.025" off). You say you've ran a lot of Barnes bullets, is there a sweet spot for most Barnes bullets? In terms of seating depth and distance off the lands, or jump as some guys call it.... I'll admit, I'm new to Barnes bullets, as I usually use partitions, Hornady interlocks, Sierra GK, and WW power points on big game. Finally decided to give in and give the Barnes a try..

I’ve shot a lot of Barnes in a bunch of rifles, and 0.050” off the lands nearly always gives excellent results.

I’ve not had a Barnes really shoot till it’s .050 off and quite often .075-.100” has been better in a number of rifles.

Not saying you’re not getting fine accuracy, but I usually get one outta the group till I sink them a bit deeper.

Lots of folks report seating to the middle of the top groove and getting pretty good results as well. I’d tend to agree with that as that’s about where I’ve ended up with a few.

Every once in a while a load shoots best for me seated deeper than 0.050” (up to 0.125” off the lands, IIRC), but on average 0.050” has been a sweet spot.