Finally got a chance to look into repairing the butt stock on a vintage Ithaca 37, 16ga. As received, the gun had had a recoil pad installed. Instead of using a #6 or #8 screws to attach the pad, #12 pr #14 screws were used (at least in the screw at the toe). The oversize screw split the toe off right thru the screw hole. The toe was reattached, albeit it poorly - misaligned and an excess of adhesive.

Last night I cut the toe of the stock to give a good mating surface for a new piece of wood. I cut enough of the stock away so that the joint between the stock and the piece to be added will be out of the way of the new screw hole for the butt plate. I also cut a wedge of walnut from an old shotgun stock that will be shaped to match the stock contours once attached.

Question is this - what adhesive would you recommend to join the stock and the piece to be added? Past woodworking experience suggests to me that a good carpenter's glue (yellow), combined with solid clamping and dry time will bond both pieces quite well, and potentially create a joint that is stronger than the woo around it. Also though of using an epoxy based adhesive.

Suggestions?

I never thought I'd grow up to be a grumpy old man, but I did, and I'm killin' it.