A longtime neighbor and deer camp member was offered a great job for a company located in southeast Minnesota three years ago. He bought a small farm of about 300 acres near the Mississippi river and he has been after me to come visit for archery hunting. About 10 days ago went up to his place and put out a couple trail cams. Got a nice hit on a decent buck and overall the area looked promising.[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
A lot of rain stopped the corn picking for me so I took a few days and went hunting and got to the farm at noon and did some scouting and checked trail cameras. Found some scrapes on a old logging road and decided to setup nearby one. [Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
Overhead limb.[Linked Image from i.imgur.com] Put a few drops of Tink's 69 on the scrape and went on to scout some more before dark. The next morning I was on the scrape and thru out the day three bucks showed up but no shooters. Refreshed the scrape with Tink's and left at end of shooting hours. Day two at dawn a doe and fawn came down the logging road and milled around the scrape and shortly after two large doe and a six pointer came to the scrape. They were there only a short time when all of sudden up went their heads looking in the same direction. The six pointer bolted out of there and the two doe danced around and left, too.
Everything was quiet for a few minutes then I heard a twig snap on the opposite hill side. A few minutes later I could see movement on that hillside, then horns. It dawned on me that the buck was maneuvering to come to the scrape from down wind and he just might get a whiff of me. In hopes of changing things I got out the grunt tube and let her rip. That did it, he came on a straight line. At 20 yards I stopped him with a MEH. There was the usual sprint and brush crashing. 68 paces from the stand. As he laid. Prickly old fella.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Last edited by roundoak; 10/31/21.

You're Welcome At My Fire Anytime