Ever been part of a situation that when in the middle of it, you know 'this is as good as it gets'? Well, that was how my pheasant hunting has been. Friend of a friend had a friend with a landowner contact in South Dakota. Schedules got flopped around last year and a free weekend opened up, so the friend of a friend put together a group and we went, and we had a great time. Same core group this year, minus a few, added a few, same situation, we slayed birds. 6000 contiguous acres of corn and soybean fields. Full of cat tail sloughs, low marshy areas, waterways, and some corner weed patches. Dug outs in some of these bad spots for water collection. Pheasant hunting nirvana. It gets no better. 12 of us hunting. Limits Saturday, Sunday, Monday in 3-4 hours. Wild birds as best as I could tell. Long spurs. Extremely wild for the most part. Had a mix of short tailed birds that were hard to tell from hens other than seeing a flash of color or white collar, indicating a late hatch to me. Maybe they were seeded, but I don't think so. I think the habitat just couldn't be any better on this farm.

Pregame meeting

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

My buddies veternarian buddies 3 setters honoring and pointing. Guess what? Rooster. I have a cool video of this all going down, right as the rooster is almost flying at my head with shots being fired.....

Buddies brittany Shady on a retrieve

Lunch time regroup

My shorthair Milo with a point. Of course its a hen.

Pushing a field

Heading into the cattails.

Former major leage baseball pitcher who now is a lumberjack. True story. Cool guy.

Otis got skunked. 1 quart of 3% peroxide. 1/4 cup baking soda. squirt of Dawn dish soap. mix. sponge on. rinse off 5 minutes later. Miracle elixir.