Here in Alaska, the handgun is one of the most important tools I own. I only use and own one. From small game on the trail using various fmj's over alliant unique, to full power 180 grain swift A-frames clear through a bull moose neck as a finishing shot, the 357 mag is the most versatile, compact trail gun anyone could ask for.

As a dog musher, I can't help the dogs run a sled up a trail with a 40+ ounce 44 mag bouncing around in my parka pocket. I don't even notice an SP101 in my parka pocket.

Late season moose will hog the trail, and won't leave. They're so grumpy, they stomp dogs to death. I cannot use hardcast, for fear of over penetration and killing a dog.

The swift A-frames will punch clear through a bull moose, and stay in the offside.

I've done some survival training in below zero weather, where the only thing you have, is what's in your parka pockets. A 357 mag was at the top of the list, out of the tools I tested.

Anyone who claims that a 357 mag isn't useful, is smoking crack-mother-fkn cocaine.

Finishing shot though the neck of this moose and the recovered bullet:
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Last edited by mainer_in_ak; 11/11/21.