We bought a dozen this spring. 1 died immediately as a chick. All were supposed to be sexed as hens. Of course we have 2 roosters.

Yesterday-one red hen was trying to steal dog food out of Milo's run. Milo is one of my shorthairs. Milo doesn't like thieves. That also happened a couple months ago to 2 others. 3 dog food thieving hens that milo has sent to chicken heaven.

Otis is my other shorthair. I was working on a truck 2 weeks ago. Dogs were running around on the driveway side of the house. All is well. Until i can't find Otis. Whistle him up, and here he comes. With the wife's prize Americana that lays green eggs in his mouth. Such a good bird dog. Loves to retrieve. Chicken still had its head up after he spit her out, so I thought we were safe. I pick her up, head flops over. Dead. Thinking maybe she is just in shock, I put her on a bale of straw in the barn, hoping she'd come to in an hour or so. She didn't. So what do I do with the wife's prized green egg laying hen that is now dead with teeth marks on it? Of course, I didn' just like all you would do. I put it back in the coop with the rest of the chickens. She found it the next day. She said it must have gotten picked on by the other birds. She threw it out in the weeds for a proper burial of her prized hen.