Scoped drillings make wing shooting more difficult. If your walking the woods an unscoped drilling is very handy as the rear sight lays flat on the rib and raises when you select the rifle barrel, the sight actuator is part of the barrel selector. So unless you've selected the rifle barrel the picture looking down the barrels is the same as looking down a regular sxs shotgun. The hammer drilling above the day after I shot the coyote I tied for first in a 16ga trap event.

Scoped drillings usually have high mounted scope BUT they are again usually mounted in return to zero mounts so with a push of a button they can be removed and carried in your pocket and you drilling will handle like a unscoped drilling and have a pop up rifle sight then attach the scope when you get to your blind or have the need for a long shot.

This is the common mounting of a scope on a drilling, quite high for the front objective housing as the scope needs to be mounted there so it can tip up to remove.
[Linked Image from imagizer.imageshack.com]

On this same rifle above I have made custom rings(shown in first post) to mount a straight tube scope low which makes target acquisition much faster. I don't think it would work for woodcock or grouse in a tangle but there wouldn't be much call for a scope in that cover either. Drillings and combos set up like this I've killed a couple ducks and pheasants as targets of opportunity returning from coyote stands.

Last edited by erich; 11/25/21.

After the first shot the rest are just noise.

Make mine a Minaska

Heaven has walls and rules, H-ll has open borders