Originally Posted by chudly
Originally Posted by boatanchor
I guess opinions differ on this topic..........to me I WILL NEVER own another FHUQKING 3 groove as long as I live, there is no upside to a 3 groove only downside.

All my benchrest barrels are 4 groove but most of my rifles have 5 or 6 groove barrels

How many 3 groove barrels have you owned and in what calibers ? I am also interested in your Opinion regarding the downside to a 3 groove . Spell-check may have helped on that one cute word . confused

I have owned 7 3 groove barrel's, 4 were 22 cal.....2 were 1-14"twist and 2 were 1-8"twist

Had 2 6mm barrels both were 1-8" twist and one 338 barrel 1-10" twist

All were Pac-Nor except the 338 barrel that is of unknown origin (built by Bill Shehane but he does not remember barrel maker).

All 4 1-8" twist (22cal and 6mm) blew up bullets from the very start. NEVER had a Hornady A-Max 22 or 6mm EVER make it to target................only bullets that would stand up to the 3 groove were 22 and 6mm MatchKings.
None of the 4 barrels made it to the 1000 round mark................as for the 338 barrel it gave up the ghost at 600 rounds.................only one of the 7 I have left is a 1-14" 222Rem, still shoots awesome with 1500 rounds down the tube