Originally Posted by SheriffJoe

Go with the smallest version rated for your weight and load.

I'd say just the opposite. smile Get the biggest rated for your weight and load--- and I'd go a size larger than that.

My decision is based on my extensive experience floundering in deep snow. Also, it appears to me that "weight ratings" are based on groomed trails, where the snow holds up much more weight per square inch of snowshoe floatation than ungroomed snow, especially powder. The experience of others may be different.

We should pay attention to the following quotation from mod7rem's post above: "I’m 5’8” 150lbs plus a day pack when I’m looking for hares and cats. I have an older pair of Tubbs Altitude 30 and I find them terrible in deep snow. For a second pair I’d like to have better floatation in deep snow... "

Didja notice mainer_in_Alaska's 44" snowshoes and Maine guide fshaw's 46" snowshoes.... These men appear to actually use snowshoes a fair amount.

I think EdT has considerable experience snowshoeing and I'd be interested in his comments.

FWIW I did my greatest amount of snowshoeing when I was fairly fit and 190 lbs., always with a daypack and rifle.

Last edited by Okanagan; 12/12/21. Reason: ineptitude