Thanks everyone for the replies so far, and thanks Roy for the photos of the 3-point on the R.

As I mentioned before the 3-point checkering on this rifle differs somewhat from the 3-point checkering on my 1931 99 K with the biggest difference being the center point on the K is significantly longer than on the EG. But the 3-point on the EG looks exactly like the R that Roy posted with the exception of the location on the pistol grip. The center points appear to be the same length. It is difficult to see in the photos in the listing but with the EG in hand there is a distinct difference in the checkering on the pistol grip and that on the forearm. I don't know how to describe it, but the forearm checkering is more subdued. It doesn't jump out at you like the pistol grip checkering does. Both are 18 lines/inch as best I can measure. I seem to remember that when we were discussing the optional checkering on my 99 D a few years ago, someone mentioned that there was an option that used the words "machine checkering" or something to that effect. On my EG there are some imperfections in the forearm checkering that lead me to believe that the forearm was checkered by hand. Is it possible that the pistol grip was "machine" checkered using the 3-point jig that was used for 99 Rs, but the forearm was done by hand because Savage didn't have the appropriate jig or something special for the forearm was requested? Or, maybe only the pistol grip was done by Savage and the forearm checkering was added later?

I think I'll break down and send for a letter. It may not tell us anything, but who knows?

Or, maybe not! I just went on the Cody website and looked at the Savage Available Serial Number Ranges page. It says for serial numbers "357579-436558 (general date and order number only)". That doesn't sound very promising.

Last edited by Jaaack; 12/22/21. Reason: Added comment about what's in letter