I’m not looking to buy or build, my building days are behind me and anything more than a 338 is more recoil than my reverse shoulder will tolerate these days. The few shots I made with one were stoked with 200 grs of ff and with no recoil pad and the crescent style steel butt plate it would flat out jerk the slack out you. Powerful rifle

I finally talked to a guy who said he knew Renner when he was living in Oregon as I recall. He had a large ring Mauser built by him years ago in some large bore Ackley improved and thought highly of his work. He was of the opinion that these under hammers didn’t sell very well and at one time were written up in Gun Digest but I can’t find the article. He used the Forsythe rifling system with a extremely slow bore something like 140-1 which was a proven concept with big bore ball guns in the late 19th century. Apparently Forsythe was a military ballistics engineer for the British army and proved best accuracy and velocity with this slow turn. His rifling was popular with hunters in Africa and India where on thicker skinned game they shot bronze balls. He has a book by Forsythe he may loan me if he can find it.

He thinks lack of these special barrels was key in dropping these rifles. I can’t find info on Cantrell in MO so maybe his source passed or quit. He also mentioned that Renner was a very talented gunsmith who would tire of a design after a while and jump into another looking for another challenge. That’s all I know so far

Rick