Overall, the Hammers are easy to work up an accurate load for. They produce less pressure than most other mono-metal bullets. The petals are designed to break off and diverge out at a 30-40 deg angle while the blunt nosed remaining shank penetrates out the other side of the animal. On smaller game like whitetails, the petals may also exit creating 4 exit wounds.

I took a bull elk in Utah with a 180gr Hammer bullet fired from a 30Nosler. Distance was just over 300yds. Bullet impact was high lung as the bull presented itself broadside. The bull literally dropped in 10 seconds and laid still in another 10 seconds.

I shot a bull moose at 125yds using a 402gr Hammer bullet fired from a Marlin 45-70. The bullet took a few steps after the initial hit so I gave him another one. The big bull just dropped and never moved again. The bullets exited.

I took a few NC whitetails with a 124 Hammer bullet from a 6.5PRC. Terminal performance was impressive even though any bullet will easily kill a whitetail if the shot placement is good.

I really like the Hammer bullets but I still use and hunt with other bullets like Berger, Barnes, Hornady & Nosler.