I normally post after the regular rifle season in early December, but since we had a longer January antlerless season this year I waited until we wrapped up our season today...with Layne getting one more doe to fill the freezer! Overall it was a good season. Layne and I got in our annual father-son deer hunt early in the season, but with temps reaching the mid-70's that afternoon I was really ok with not getting a deer that day. Still fun to get out together, though.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

A little different this year as Grace is now a freshman in the engineering program at Kansas State University, so we didn't have as many hunts together, but she was able to get a doe the first weekend.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

While Grace and I were in one spot my wife and Layne were hunting together about 1/2 mile away, so it adds to the fun of not just watching for deer in front of us, but listening for a shot in their direction, too. They shot first this year, with a text message following from Kelley shortly after...got my buck!
[Linked Image]

I got in an evening hunt or two, but saw more coyotes than deer on several outings.
[Linked Image]

The second weekend Layne and I hunted on my favorite spot out on "the hill" and saw a pretty sunrise on Saturday morning, but no deer.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

On Sunday morning we switched it up and Layne joined Mom down in the trees while I was up on the hill. No deer sighted for me, but I did hear two shots from down in the trees as Layne took two nice does for the freezer with virtually identical shot placement on both. He said after all of the pictures I showed him in magazines as he was learning and I'd ask where he should shoot it is easy to pick a spot.
[Linked Image]

To be continued...

Last edited by Proud_Dad; 01/09/22.

"Kids don't remember their best day of television."