Originally Posted by Calhoun
Originally Posted by Rick99
1,069,5xx lowerst .284 that I have in my data.

I have a 99F at 1,062,3xx in my data - but then it's a big jump up to 1,069,5xx and 1,069,9xx, and then another jump to 1,073,xxx.

Mass production seems to ramp up around 1,073,xxx. The lowest at 1,062,xxx would be a very, very early 284 - better part of a year earlier than the others.

Rory, I wonder if that 10623xx is the top one in this photo? If so, you need to know some details for your notes.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

The rifle has both the rotor cross screw and interior rotor retaining ring, rather than just the retaining ring of standard .284's. All machining looks factory but who knows?

The forearm is a 99F .284 forearm w/o the cutout for barrel boss for the rear sight that the other 99F's had. There are factory machining marks inside the forearm, not hand done.

The barrel is marked .284, with no other Savage markings, but has white highlighted lettering like some of the factory rifles had.

The receiver is marked 99F, has no date stamp, no Savage proof stamp, etc.

The rifle has a matte blued finish.

The stock finish "appears" factory.

No fluted comb, or lightly fluted comb.

The buttplate is much earlier Savage, "SVG"

Front and rear sights appear Savage and in correct locations.

With the forearm being a factory .284 forearm but pretty much everything else pointing to a custom, I would say slim chance it's factory. It is a beauty and well done, but the really early buttplate, matte finish, lack of Savage barrel markings, etc lead me to believe a gunsmith built it. If anyone needs more information, let me know.

LOL