Walked out the other morning to toss some trash in the dumpster. Silly me, I was looking at the oil drips from my old tractor on the gravel drive now that the snow and ice is gone, should have been looking up.

All of a sudden something flies off the power pole, heads towards the vacant lot. Jeebus, look at that big white tail! And it's got something in its talons. Mostly we see goldens here, a few baldies going back and forth at altitude between water bodies.

Landed on an unused pole on the vacant lot, close to 100 yds away, gave me time to go get the real camera with a decent lens on it. I "stalked" across the street to behind a tree, cut the distance in half and got a couple of decent shots. This one, if you can zoom on it, shows meat on its bill. I toss scratch out for the quail and pinyon jays, and those dang invasive does come for the hand outs too. Under the pole where it flew from were some feathers that looked suspiciously like a dove. smile

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment
In it is death and all you seek
(Quoted from "The Bleeding of the Stone" Ibrahim Al-Koni)

member of the cabal of dysfunctional squirrels?