Full bore sized bullets are soft, so they swell up (obturate) when the powder lights off, and engages the rifling. I've found that pushing them hard, is what makes them accurate. Same thing is not so good for bullet performance.

I drive the no excuses 54 caliber/525 grain bullet with 110 gr/vol or 87 gr/weight of pyrodex P powder....along with a .58 cal wool felt over the powder. The gun shoots sub 2" groups at 100 yards, with peep sights.....sometimes better, depending on me (sight picture, and 61 year old eyes).

This load works great at 100 yards and better, on deer and elk. But, up close, the bullet won't hold together. I shot a cow elk this year, at 14 yards, as it ran past me. Caught the leading edge of the near shoulder blade, shattering about 6" of its neck vertebrae, and did not exit. The 2 pieces of bullet, that I recovered, weighed a total of 468 grains.

Did it work? Sure, the elk died instantly, in an impressive wreck! But, with a bullet that heavy, I would prefer it held together and exited.

Same bullet at 100 yards and beyond will typically exit, and if not, will have a perfect flat top mushroom pushed back almost half way down the length of the bullet....depending of if it hit big bone(s) or not.

In the past, I used the hornady great plains bullet, in 54 ca/425 grain. Only difference, they have the hollow base, so...no need for the over powder felt. They were just as accurate, and performed the same on big game. But, they quit making them in 54 cal., and that's why I switched to the no excuses bullets.

Sooooo.....if all your shots are close, you may want to slow them down (if you don't lose accuracy)....or, if you load it up, you may want to keep your close shots in the ribcage, and off the big bones. That's what I've found, here in Idaho, in the past 25 years of ML hunting, with similar regulations, that you have in Oregon.

Andy3