flintlocke,

I tested CCI .22 LR, along with Winchester .22 Magnum and CCI .17 HMR lead-free ammo, a LOT a few years ago for an article in RIFLE magazine, both for accuracy and effect on animals. This was partly done because bunch of subscribers live in California, and were asking questions.

It was "gopher" season in this part of Montana--Richardson's ground squirrels. The .22 ammo shot well, especially in Eileen's Anschutz 54 sporter, and as far as we could tell killed gophers just like most high-velocity HP Long Rifle ammo. The 21-grain bullets did wind-drift a little more than lead HPs at longer ranges, but the 1800+ fps muzzle velocity helped considerably in trajectory at LR ranges.

The .22 Magnum ammo didn't expand much on gophers. Dunno the 30-grain bullets were designed for use on larger varmints, but I quit shooting gophers pretty quickly with it. Muzzle velocity was similar to 40-grain lead ammo, a little over 2000 fps. It shot pretty accurately in my Ruger American, but that rifle shoots just about any ammo well.

The CCI 15.5 grain .17 HMR stuff was VERY accurate and effective in my CZ 452, with a muzzle velocity of around 2600.

The article also appeared, with some updated info, as a chapter in GUN GACK III.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck