My Win. Mod. 71 is a Deluxe version made by Miroku that I bought from a friend. It is the fanciest rifle I own, beautiful wood, and checkering and a beautiful dark blue finish on the metal is very nice looking. I had some work done to it and I am developing loads now.

My plan is to use H4350, Winchester Large Rifle Magnum primers and Starline brass. I had some Whidden dies made up. I laid in a life time supply of the excellent Kodiak Custom bonded 250 grain heavy jacketed bullets. It has a trigger job, got rid of the rebounding hammer, barrel is now 22 inches and a full length magazine tube. Two holes were drilled and tapped on the top rear of the action for the XS rear peep sight and the XS flat post with white center line on the front.

Finished it off with a five round butt stock cartridge holder from Levergun Leatherworks that also has a grizzly bear on it. It is a beautiful cartridge holder and with the full length magazine tube I have quick access to 12 rounds. So I can grab the gun and go. The sling is a black 1 1/4 inch leather version from Montana Rifle Slings.

The rifle feeds just fine with the improved case. I am basing my estimated velocity off of articles I have read and a couple of You Tube videos. But, I plan on going to the range and checking the load over my chronograph after I fireform a bunch of brass.

I am not a safe queen or collector gun guy. I like shooting my guns and our long Alaskan winters leave lots of time for loading ammo. I have a Marlin 45-70 like about every other friend does, a Mod. 94 Big Bore .356 Win. and a Mod. 94 in .44 mag. But long yearned for a old school .35 caliber lever gun giving near .35 Whelen ballistics. I now have one and I know my two manly grandsons will think of me long after I am gone when they pack my rifles on their Alaskan adventures.