Originally Posted by ROMAC
I just went through the same thing. I don't know what I had up there but I did some internet searching and figured it might be roof rats.

Apparently there is a breed of rat that has been pushing its territory north and they exclusively like to crawl up to the inside of your attic and make a nest. They get behind your siding or go up drains and get in vents, they are even known to drop down out of trees on your roof. I read that they can squeeze through a nickel size opening. They do not like basements or any kind of moisture or dirt. They exclusively go for high dry places. Fuggers make a lot of noise too, just like rem141r said.

We'd been hearing the noises so I was online and I made the mistake of telling my wife that there was something called roof rats and at the first mention of the word rat she wanted to call every exterminator in the county. Anyways, a little searching and I found a product at the local hardware store. I bought the biggest tub they had for about $23.00 which was probably 4X's as much as I needed LOL.

If you look close you can see the words "roof rats" right under the word "Kills" and to the left of the number 64 on the tub it came in. I went up in the attic and threw out a half a bucket of this stuff all around the edges in the insulation. That night we heard about 10% of what we had been hearing, the next night and for the last three weeks we have not heard a peep.

I just have my fingers crossed that we don't get a stinky odor when the weather warms up.

[Linked Image from live.staticflickr.com]

[Linked Image from live.staticflickr.com]
Those are what I had. If you can't find them when they die house will stink for a couple of weeks, caught a few in traps.

God bless Texas-----------------------
Old 300
I will remain what i am until the day I die- A HUNTER......Sitting Bull
Its not how you pick the booger..
but where you put it !!
Roger V Hunter