Originally Posted by Beoceorl
Originally Posted by pullit
Originally Posted by Beoceorl
Originally Posted by pullit
I have a pistol or two that are cut for red dots and has the filler plates in the cuts. I am not ready for a red dot yet but I could see it at some point if my eyes get worse. I have played with one of my guns that does have a red dot on it and I am for sure slower on the first shot because of trying to find the dot.
I think the only way I would get better is to put everything else away and only shoot the red dot. Going back and forth between sights and red dots does not help me get better with the red dot. I would have to force myself to learn it.

Are your irons cowitnessed with your red dot? Mine are, and I find that switching back and forth between red dot and non-red dot equipped pistols actually helps me pick up the dot quicker.

No they are not. The pistol came with standard height sights (which now that I think about it, does not make a lot of since as it was cut for an RMR) so I would have to get new sights. I will check into that, thanks for pointing out the cowitness thing I missed that completely.

Yes, even when the slide is cut for the dot sight you will still need suppressor height sights.

With the proper cowitness you don't end up looking for the dot. You pick up your front (or rear) sight, start to line up like normal, and the dot just appears. Then you forget about the irons, and transition to the dot. With a little dry fire practice the transition becomes very natural, and very quick.

That's how I do it.