To my astonishment I found some Lapua 223 match brass in my stash. Brand new in the box. I decider to form into 222 for my favorite varmint rifle. The brass was match prepped at the factory and the cases were necks were trimmed for concentricity. Sharp looking brass!

I took 20 rounds and ran them through the 222 fl sizer and ended up with a neck with two obviously different diameters. When pulling the case out of the die the expander ball seemed to hang up on the neck, perhaps a dreaded doughnut?? So I need to trim the neck obviously. Would you outside trim first? Trim inside first or shoot then trim?

The pic below shows what I’m talking about. Left to right is a 223 round out of the box. Middle: after running through the 222 fl die. Note the “bump” in the neck from where Lapua trimmed the neck. Excess brass at the bottom half of the neck. Far right is the brass after I trimmed to 222 length.

Just wondering what the correct order of case prep should be from this point in. Thanks for your suggestions!

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

You only live once, but...if you do it right, once is enough.