Has anyone used or is still using solid fuel stick handwarmers? I used to rely on these to keep me in the woods when I was a kid during PA's late flintlock muzzleloader season. I'd wear a wool shirt with chest pockets and often put the handwarmers in my shirt pockets instead of coat pockets. I guess for convenience, I migrated to disposable handwarmers for the little bit that I use them over the past few decades.

Just for the helluva it, I dug out the old handwarmers today, along with some fuel sticks that have to be 35+ years old and sparked one up. I lit both ends of the stick for maximum warmth. Holy smokes! These things burn so much warmer than disposable handwarmers - it isn't even close. I'm not sure why I've shelved these things for so many years, but they are definitely getting placed back into the rotation of useful gear, especially for activities such as ice fishing.

They do emit a bit of a funk compared to disposable warmers, which might be a deal breaker for some. But, depending on the activity, it is a welcome trade-off.

For you young whippersnappers who grew up using disposable handwarmers, consider getting yourself some solid fuel stick handwarmers for those really cold outings. Light one end of the stick in moderately cold temps and both ends on frigid days.

For the record, I also have a few Zippo warmers, and I lit two today to compare against the solid fuel stick handwarmer. Only one stayed lit, and it was just barely warm. I've never had good luck with these, and they give off more odor than the solid fuel stick handwarmers do.

Last edited by CoalCracker; 01/22/22.