Originally Posted by 4winds
Originally Posted by HandgunHTR
If that is the case then the new twist rates on the 8.6 Blackout are going to melt some heads.

I'm sure most of you have looked at the thought process behind this...my take away is you need to use all copper/monos with that fast of a twist and the effect is supposed to be explosive much like a cup and core with higher velocity? Correct? I would like to pose a few questions, then:

What about a 1 in 3 twist with a .224, 6.5 or .308 in a monometal bullet? What kind of effective range could you expect from doing this? Will your barrel life be shortened?

I have no idea of the downsides to more twist but I give my gunsmith the vapors every time I send him something fast or talk about it. He wants to run juuuuuust enough for accuracy.

8 twist 7mms, 8 twist 30’s, 6.5/7 twist 22’s, 7.5 twist 270’s.. he try’s to get me to order slower stuff but I think it’s kind of a running joke now. I trust him to most all of the other stuff but I order what I want for barrels.

The old thing about twist slowing down velocity hasn’t played out to me and some rifles I’ve compared yet.

Semper Fi