Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
Originally Posted by rost495
You can hit really well out to 100 easy and I can to 200 with that huge hole if you trust yourself.

I prefer smaller. The smaller holes are not really good enough for the MR31 target mentioned if shooting paper. There you need hooded and small. But no one shoots paper much anymore in matches like that with irons. I forget rear ap sizes a bit. thinking we were around 042 for the rear with a hood. Could be mistaken

An adjustable iris rear sight is better, something like the Merit that is on my Colt, but the small aperture works alright for most people. So Jeff, when you shot your targets in the black rifle challenge, you were using the big aperture for the MR31 target? The smaller aperture is more precise..

I shot only service rifle. No merit allowed.

We shot rear sights .25 moa both ways.

Screw in hooded rear sight apertures. I've never been able to see precisely enough with anything stock so to say, to shoot 600 yards really well.

Again pretty sure the hooded ones were 042 and 046 depending on the light. But those might not be the right numbers.

But again for smacking a pig or such, the big ghost aperture is plenty good. Just gotta hit vitals. Quick. Easy. Accurate enough. I don't think I saw this guy going to compete with that gun or my answer is different obviously.

Can you not shoot with the big ap? The only real thing that matters is front sight focus. The other 2 can be blurry enough and if you shoot a bit often the eye does all the centering of the ap and post. I mean you have to try, but the eye auto wants to center things up. Its like my wife that can't stand anything out of order it seems. LOL. She was and is a good shot too.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....