Originally Posted by Odessa
BoxerDog, I have gone through a bit of experimentation with my riflescopes on one of my favorite hunting rifles, this M70FW 270 WIN. I started out with a 2.5 - 8 x 36 VX-III but due to deteriorating vision needed more light during those first and last 15 - 20 minutes. I tried a Meopta 56MM and it worked, but the rifle became ungainly to handle, carry, even visually it looked out of place. I replaced it with a VX-6 with 30 mm tube and 42 MM objective. This is the best compromise I have found, even got the red dot version which helps me locate the center of the crosshair in very low light against dark backgrounds (such as in a swamp). Good luck in your quest, shown below in order as mentioned. Odessa
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Great pictures Odessa. I'm glad someone else posts pics here. As for the op's question regarding the 50 and 56mm objectives, I agree they are too big and "ungainly", as you said. A 42mm is about tops for me. I'll be heading out to pick up my XTR FWT 22-250 I recently bought and that rifle has an older gloss Burris 4-12x40 on it and that is just about right for that rifle. I plan on pulling the adjustable windage mounts on that rifle and putting on a set of DD's, as per usual. I'll take some pics and post them. As I told the OP in a PM, I would be looking more at the Meopta 3.5-10x44, since he gets a big discount on the Meopta products. But that is probably about the biggest scope I'd look at running on an XTR FWT. Even at that, it is going to seem slightly out of skew on that rifle.. Something more svelte seems more fitting. Even a gloss burris 3-9x40 with ballistic plex would work and look great. I'm also in agreement with gnoahh. When he asks why a FWT rifle, if weight is of no concern. The true beauty of a lightweight rifle is keeping it lightweight and balanced optimally. I'm sure we have all had and used a top heavy feeling rifle in the field. I hate them, personally. One day in the field with a rifle will tell me all I need to know about them and what needs to be changed. I do a lot of walking when I'm hunting though. Some of you guys sit in a stand all day, so weight and balance may not be an issue. This may be the case with the op.

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA