Originally Posted by AcesNeights
I went with the 4” barrel. While I don’t plan on doing much hunting down here in the years to come because hopefully we’ll have moved up north in the not too distant future the 4.25” barrel is legal for big game hunting here. Mostly I bought it for my wife to carry when she’s hiking, fishing or accompanying me on hunts. I’ve got a couple thousand once fired cases for the magnum and about 750 for the special. She’ll practice with the special and carry the magnums just like she did with her model 36. I was pleased to finally find a magnum revolver that didn’t carry like a magnum. I’m glad to see that the reviews are almost all quite favorable but being that it’s a S&W that’s not too surprising. 👍

I’ll have my gunsmith buddy do an action job and trigger job as well as disable the J lock. When I looked at the revolver the first time I was put off because of the lock but I decided I’m not letting a stupid and insignificant thing like the lock keep me from buying the revolver I’ve been wanting. I’ve never had an issue with the lock but I also always disable them immediately. 😁

Here's a good article by Brian Pearce on "pet" loads for the 44 spcl. for options between anemic factory loads and full 44 mag. Maybe give you and your wife some more options for load development.
https://www.handloadermagazine.com/44-s-w-special-p

“Some ideas are so stupid that only intellectuals believe them.”
― G. Orwell

"Why can't men kill big game with the same cartridges women and kids use?"
_Eileen Clarke

"Unjust authority confers no obligation of obedience."
- Alexander Hamilton