I have had a 284 Winchester for probably 15 years. It was always an interesting cartridge to me for some reason... I started out with a Browning BLR then added a Winchester 100 and later a Ruger Model 77 with the tang safety. The Ruger was what I wanted all along but the Browning and the Winchester showed up first and both shoot great. While I've shot them some at the range, I've never hunted with any of them. Probably going to change that this year.

Getting the ammo has always been a bit of a problem. I sent a box to someone on the Fire a few years ago that couldn't find any during one of the shortages. Shortly after that I decided that if they were going to be that hard to find, I'd add the 284Win to the cartridges that I load. I bought some of the 6.5X284 cases and I've taken to calling them my wildcats in 7X6.5X284. I've never been one to buy a standard cartridge and then try to make a magnum out of it, so they are fun to shoot.

After seeing those Savage 99's in 284 Win, I might have to see how much space I have in the gun safe and if I can squeeze in one more rifle.

Harry