I'm planning a trip for my son and I to travel to CA to shoot ground squirrels in April. We're taking two rifles, a .222 rem and a 22 BR. It's been a few years since I've been out thereto do this and I had to come up with new loads for lead free bullets since the ban went into effect. The bigger problem is they've clamped down on shipping ammo into CA. I used to UPS my fairly large volume of ammo (800-900 rounds) to myself or my friend at his house but that is no longer legal. My friend talked to his CA FFL about shipping to him, and apparently there would be a bunch of paperwork to get it back from him, and I'm not even sure I could being a non-resident. The FFL didn't seem to enthusiastic about it. I can bring 22lbs including packaging, between the two of us on the plane in our luggage. That would probably be less than 500 rounds total, but I haven't done the math yet.
As a non-resident I can carry as much ammo as I want into the state. We will be flying into Reno, NV and driving up from there. We had the brilliant idea to ship to a gunsmith in Reno and pick it up. Maybe pay a small fee for their trouble. I don't have any other contacts in the area to ship to. Has anyone dealt with this recently? Got a contact or reference for a shop that would accept and hold the ammo for us? Other suggestions that are legal?