Eh, it wasn’t an heirloom project, right? Looks like ply, edges banded with molding, having a photo finish (film thickness finish). “Looks like” probably 1/8 or 3/16 light ply panels on sundry softwood for tails and styles, legs, etc.

Depends what outcome you’re shooting for. If it’s just for “service” you could grab a small can some grey barnwood stain and touch it up, won’t match but at a glance is “serviceable”. If you want it to look fresh and right, no, what the others said are the options: laminate or veneer the top, resto-finish the bottom. Or, prime n paint. For what little the desk is worth… i dunno. Either way, cost of veneer, laminate, or paint… you gotta “want” this specific desk for it to make sense. Which is fine.

Edit: well, you could grab a faux veneer gel stain kit (marketed for exterior doors) and topcoat the top with that. Might look pretty right, actually. Sand down to bare ply first of course.

Last edited by sandcritter; 02/18/22.

Golldammed motion detector lights. A guy can’t even piss off his porch in peace any more.

"Look, I want to help the helpless. It's the clueless I don't give a [bleep] about." - Dennis Miller on obamacare.