Originally Posted by Bugger
Still waiting on Lapua brass to show up.
I had a pile of different kinds of brass. I was surprised to find the weight variation on Winchester brass - while most fell into two groups 158 to 160 grains and 156 to 158 grains. But there were a few from 165+ to 151 grains. So while waiting for the good brass to show up I decided to look for other brass. I found I had a couple hundred LC Match, a hundred or so of BHA Match and a hundred or so of Hornady Match brass.
I’m currently getting them seriously clean, trimming and weighing them. I’m also tempering the necks with flame method. The match brass is once fired.
I’m curious though about primer selection. Most people seem to use Federal 210, why not 210M? Are they available?

The purpose is this:
I bought a never-been-fired, gun smith built bench gun built on a blue printed 700 action. I have always worked hard on getting the best accuracy out of my rifles - 90% which are 700’s, partly because I’ve found them to be accurate factory rifles. I’ve tinkered with each one, doing the basic tricks to get best accuracy and spend hundreds of rounds to get the best accuracy - being pleased with 1/2 MOA and excited with 1/4 MOA groups with my big game rifles.
This is my first bench rifle. I want to see what it can do and what lessons I might learn along the way to get optimum accuracy. I want to get in the 1’s.

My former 308’s that I’ve owned primarily were carbines (600’s & 660’s). I’ve owned one heavy barreled AR-10 style rifle and I still have a Berga in a 308.

(I have lots of FC brass I could try???)

Now that’s a far fetch. Damn was at sportsman’s saw new guns with powder residue on the muzzle. Hell even Cooper fires 3 rounds. If your smith hasn’t test fired, dumb.

Swifty