I love to take bacon&egg sandwiches. They hold up pretty well with toast, and if it's really cold they reheat over a fire pretty well too! I only take those if it's cold enough to keep them cold....my wife is a food-safety-nazi. Then along with that I'll usually take some trail mix or dried fruit and maybe even a candy bar (for a quick pick me up while dragging).

Not hunting related, but still pertinent maybe......after I nearly suffered heat stroke after an NRA Highpower Rifle match I talked to some long time shooters as well as my Dietitian wife and changed my game plan for nutrition surrounding matches. My family doesn't typically eat a lot of junk food, but the day before a match I'll make sure I'm not overdoing it on salt or sugar, and I will drink constantly. A national champ told me that I should be drinking enough the day before that you have to get up 2-3 times per night to pee (no old man prostate jokes please) ....and when you wake up to pee...you drink more. Day of the match you continue drinking and focus on lean protein/plant based proteins, as well as fruits and veggies...keeping added sugar to a minimum.

This has really helped me to endure long matches on hot days.

Last edited by Kimber204; 02/27/22.