Knew him in the late sixties. He gave me pointers on writing and photography. He could do wonders with the light on his desk and a 35mm camera.
I bought a muzzle loader once from a local dealer. He called me later to see if I still had it. Evidently George had sold it to him and Navy Arms wanted their "test" gun back.
Little brother and I were in a shop on day and George came in waving a Smith model 60 around wanting to know if anyone wanted to buy it. I told little brother who he was. He said, "Who the hell is George Nonte?"
He would spend an inordinate amount of time and money doing some weird conversions such as a Model 39 from 9mm to 38 super and still have to machine brass.
He was honest. I remember one article where he was hunting pigs with a Dragoon of some sort and had to shoot it empty, reload and shoot some more. Some writers would have written a "one shot" kill. Not George. I think, like Elmer, he was pretty dang honest.
Interesting guy. Had a thing for Chevy Corvairs.
Was a wizard at coming up with ways to make cartridges for strange guns. Book on cartridge conversions.
He had a bunch of nom de plumes, including C George Charles and others.

Last edited by Papag; 03/22/22. Reason: more info