I currently own 2 Colt Light Rifles. Both are chambered in 30-06 (they are about 60 numbers apart in serial number). My intention is to send one of these rifles to Melvin Forbes in the next few days to get the standard NULA treatment of new stock, trigger, follower, firing pin spring etc. I will leave the gun in .30-06 for use. I ive in Northeast Wyoming which is open prairie, the Black Hills, The Big Horn, Owl Creek, Snowy Range Mtns etc. I currently have several Tikka rifles I hunt with, along with a Kimber Montana, a Remington Mountain Rifle, Model 70 Extremem Weather, Browning X-Bolt along with a bunch of standard weight rifles. Calibers range from .243 to .325 WSM in light guns, and from 17 hmr to 35 Whelen in standard weight guns. My question is... I would like to send in the second Colt Light Rifle to Melvin for the same treatment, plus a rebarrel. Looking for ideas for a caliber for rebarrel, that would work on a long action. I pretty much have all the bases covered, but I do not have a 257 Roberts. I do not have a light weight Whelen either. I was thinking of looking for or building a Kimber Montana in a ,257 Roberts, maybe this would be just as good? I dont know that I would use a Whelen to hunt moose / elk. I would be more likely to use .325 WSM or 300 Rem or something similar.

Thoughts? Would the Roberts feed well in the long action? I could build a .25-06 but I have so many light .280, 280 ai, 30-06 and .270 that I would like something different. If I didnt have a few good ones, the .240 Weatherby would be a fun option. I dont really have any needs, but I would like something that was desireable when it was complete and would have value. I would still use it, and have some fun with it.

Last edited by Oakster; 03/28/22.