Seafire: Back in 1995 I began work on a Custom bolt action Varmint Rifle in the predecessor caliber to the 17 Remington Fireball, the 17 MachIV!
I wanted a heavy stainless barreled Rifle and procured a 26 1/2" Shilen heavy barrel and had the Riflesmith carefully put it together on a Remington 700 action with Jewell Trigger and a custom wide forearm fiberglass stock.
The resulting 11 pound 4 ounce Rifle IS one of the most accurate Rifles I own!
I have been using and admiring that Rifle in the Colony Varmint Fields ever since.
It is amazingly efficient and rather flat of trajectory over the ranges I shoot Prairie Dogs, Rock Chucks and Ground Squirrels at (500 yards plus just a tad now and then).
I use the amazingly accurate and lethal Berger 25 grain MEF hollow-point bullets in it - I have a lifetime supply of these on hand as I am not sure Berger still makes this exact 25 grainer.
I hope that the original poster considers this cartridge (or the exact twin -the 17 Remington Fireball!) for its great performance and wonderful efficiency (speeds for small powder charges!) and easier obtaining reloading dies.
I do NOT know if a 221 Remington Fireball case is "better" for a 17 caliber than a 222 Remington case necked down or not!
But I do know I am ecstatic with both my 17 MachIV custom and my Remington 700 VSF in 17 Remington Fireball (with 26" heavy factory barrel).
And this, the 17 MachIV and the 17 Remington Fireball of mine have both (on rare occasion) kill't Coyotes (one shot kills!).
Yeah - I recommend the 17 MachIV for Mr. Ingwe's serious consideration.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy