Bugger! Bugger! Please: photos, photos, photos... smile!
Some points/questions off top-of-head trying to visualize...
Chambering!?! Barrel length/markings (including concealed under stock)? aft barrel sight length/range markings? Single or double broached Receiver? Bolt straight or bent & w/ matching SN, mismatch or 'none'. When you refer to "shortened forend" do you mean retaining military hardware or Bubba special? Any suggestions the barrel length might have been trimmed? Any possibility of nomenclature "scrubbed"?
Such questions, a poor substitution for a good series of detailed photos! You've concluded FN so there really should ether be some markings or... psychic powers involved??? What basis for assuming 'postwar'?

Re FN. At war's end FN was quickly returned to civilian production after occupation & Wehrmacht. produced mausers. Post WWII Military production often included small contracts & their own serial ranges. Quite a few of these seem to have been "carbines" with bent-bolts. One notable exception the rifles produced for the Belgian military itself with receiver crests inclusive of dates of 1951 or 1952 as full length. Most of the anonymous 'small batch' national clients seemed to have remained "documentation unavailable".
Final observation "re"... After half-century plus and the roll call of owner's hands passing, possibility of many alterations some yet appearing "original". Most "rare variations" existing across the spectrum of Internet gun sales, Bubba as simply not 'signed work'! smile
And now that I've rather poorly attempted to play expert...
We're privileged to have Anthony Vanderlinden, author of the seminal book embracing such as this very subject as part of this Forum! Reference to his book below. Hopefully he'll be along to comment here and set straight my amateuer efforts at expertise!
In the meantime, in between time... The subtle hint... Photos, photos, photos!
Example of my postwar FN carbine below with pretty good evidence of manufacturer!
'Anthony's Book: https://www.fnbrowning.com/fn-mauser-rifles

Best!
John

Attached Images
R266-2U.jpg (21.5 KB, 1000 downloads)
R266-12U.jpg (20.38 KB, 995 downloads)