Originally Posted by Stophel
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye
Original S&W wood grips of any type from back in the day are getting big prices now, but particularly the special ones. That's because folks used to be so fast to replace them with the latest and greatest aftermarket grips, and then basically discard the originals.

I remember when you could find regular magnas for $5 a set (targets were $10), in boxes full of them at the gun shows. Nobody wanted them because....well, they do pretty much suck.

These grips may not actually be original to this gun, as they are a bit oversize for the frame. They are not numbered, but I don't know if they were still numbering grip panels at this date.

The gun is missing its little trigger stop. Just a little piece of metal with a screw that you could adjust to stop your trigger from overtravel. These were on the Masterpieces. I know they were known to occasionally work themselves loose and slip forward and keep the trigger from pulling back all the way, which is definitely not a good thing, so a lot of individuals and police departments removed them. I'm not real big on overtravel stops anyway, so it don't bother me that it's gone.
Yes, overtravel stops have no place on a service gun. Strictly a sporting function. Too risky for serious applications.