Originally Posted by z1r
I shoot 250 grain .358's in my 9x57's. Suggest you slug the bore as they can vary considerably. Two of mine slugged at .356", one at .354". Chamber necks in all easily accomodate a .358" seated so no separeate "swaging" of bullets before loading is required. A chamber cast should be made prior to assuming .358's can be used.

This!

That is a beautiful rifle in a great chambering! I searched for one in that chambering but never found it in my price range, so made my own (kinda). Put a .358 bore barrel on a Venezuelan Mauser action and bought a PT&G reamer to chamber it. Not having to worry about th bore diameter, I went immediately to 250 gr Hornady RNs that worked great on a nice buck:

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Then, a couple of years ago, I switched to cast PCed bullets that also work well.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

As z1r says, .358 bullets can work very well if you rifle meets the parameters he outlined. A very knowledgeable German I met on the German Rifle Collector's Forum also says and does the same. If you're uncomfortable with doing that, you may want to consider using cast bullets. They are very forgiving wrt bore diameters.

One other thing, the Hensoldt scope on German claw mounts is supper cool. I have that setup on a 1903 Mannlicher-Schoenauer. I had to have the scope refurbished by Iron Sight, Inc., but it is now top notch!

Congratulations on a fine acquisition!

Last edited by Hook; 04/13/22.