Originally Posted by CrazyCoot
Originally Posted by kwg020
Originally Posted by CrazyCoot
What are the government profile barrels primarily used for? I notice some great deals pop up on them from time to time. Would these be more ideal for long-range hunting type shooting or are they more geared towards self-defense type situations?

As I recall the government profile was to prevent the barrel from bending if the user was too aggressive with the bayonet. The last few inches of the barrel were made heavier to prevent the bending while the portion under the hand guard did not need that extra weight since it was supported by the handguard between the front sight and the receiver nut. I'm sure someone will be along to expound on this soon enough.

kwg

Oh yes. I should have been more specific. I understand how the government profile was created. Just wondering what that profile would be ideal for. Short range, home defense, long-range, varmint hunting, etc.

I have complete confidence in kwg’s assessment. The gov’t profile is ideal for drive-by stabbings.

“When Tyranny becomes Law, Rebellion becomes Duty”

Colossians 3:17 (New King James Version)
"And whatever you do in word or deed, do all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God the Father through Him."