Originally Posted by Pharmseller
Originally Posted by Higginez
I have a new-to-me stainless Tikka T3 Varmint in .223. It shot my previous 75 gr ELDM load okay, but not how I know Tikkas can shoot. I figure that if I have to do it over I’m gonna do it differently.

I did some research and decided to try TAC. I’m running it kinda hot so I’m not gonna post my load, but chrono testing gets me 3043, ES 16, SD 6, but only 7 shots. Brass looks fine, no bolt lift issues. I’m loading pretty long with Mountain Tactical magazines.

I put together a seating depth test starting at just kissing the lands (2.477”) and ending at 2.373,” which isn’t far from the ogive. Weather permitting I’ll be able to get an afternoon in maybe Wednesday.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

I’m looking for Tikka accuracy. 3043 with a .235 G7 ain’t bad.

P

Yeah, 3,043 fps with a 75 ELD out of a .223 is crazy fast.

2,900 or so is where I'd be shutting things down fwiw.

Max charge of Varget gets me 2977 so I’m not that far off.

Why hand load if not to push the limits of performance?

Hand loading conservatively is like asking a red headed whore to hold your hand.

Meanin’ no disrespect to red headed whores, of course.

P

Do what you wanna do, but if you lose an eye or worse, that is on you.. You always want to load at top velocity (maybe even over pressure) and then putz around with seating depth. That may not work this time. Just sayin.

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA