One size does not fit all. In my case I moved to north Idaho in 1964. Main attraction was hunting and fishing on plenty of public land. Spent the next 25 years doing just that. It was a good move. For all the same reasons that are being discussed on this thread, things were changing. More people and more BS. In 1988 I bought 40 acres of fairly remote timber ground about 70 miles from home. This property was surrounded on 3 sides by National Forest. I slowly developed it at first by tent camping, then a small camp trailer and eventually with a small cabin and a few out buildings. Now I have a couple of wildlife food plots, atv trails, and permanent hunting blinds. I hunt mostly on my own property now. Me and my wife spend at least 2-3 days a week up there 9 months of the year. My wife don't like the cold and snow so I go up alone off and on through out the winter.
If your so inclined, it can be done. I worked 30 years for the U.S.F.S. and never made a ton of money. Just a working stiff with a dream. Best move I ever made and its all worth it.