About primers. pressures and powders: First, an anecdote about primers in two different .35 Whelens, both single-shots; and then a third .35 Whelen is involved.

The first .35 Whelen was an M7400 (semi). Everything worked well... never a problem, though some handloads were likely over pressure, yet I never used "small base" dies. That 7400 was as tough as any bolt action in ejecting fired cases. Though one load - a book load - did blow a couple of primers. It was a tough, accurate rifle that eventually got sold. A few years later, I went looking for another .35 Whelen and came home with a single-shot NEF. I also bought 50 new Rem cases in .35 Whelen. Loaded up some of the old brass used in the 7400, and some of the new brass, both with WLRM primers. The NEF would not fire the loads with the new brass but would with the old brass used in the 7400. I thought there was a head space problem so took the rifle to my smith who said the chamber checked out. Also, when returned to the place where purchased it would fire Rem factory ammo. I was then stuck with 50 new cases that needed fire-forming. That was my thinking so exchanged the rifle where purchased for one in .45-70. Sometime later, I went looking for another .35 Whelen, couldn't find one so came home with a 9.3 x 62 - no regrets there.

Recently, on an impulse, I purchased a Traditions OUTFITTER G3 single-shot in .35 Whelen with a 22" barrel and brake... It fires those same new Rem .35 Whelen cases primed with the WLRM primers! The apparent real problem with the former NEF was the hammer spring was relatively weak compared to this Traditions that whacks them like a sledge hammer!

Plus... as MD has talked about, there was a slight difference (within specs) for the head-space in favor of the TRADITIONS that has a very tight chamber!

And Steve R., new powders have made a great difference for handloaders of the .35 Whelen... in a positive sense. Plus 200 fps within SAAMI specs for a 250gr. And that's not 2600 fps but 2700 fps from a 24". So technology continues to improve matters over traditional concepts. Check Speer's Manual #14. I've recently been testing the 225gr NAB using CEF223 with excellent results that tradition would have expected from a .338 Win with a 22" barrel.Of course... it too has been "improved" by better propellants.

Bob
www.bigbores.ca

"What shall it profit a man if he gain the whole world and lose his own soul" - Jesus