Originally Posted by Brad
I’ve never had any issue killing game with a 150 in the 2,800 - 2,850 range.

Originally Posted by RinB

If I was going brown bear hunting with my 270 I would pick the 160 N Ptn (maybe 150 AF) because I would be less concerned with having full penetration. For everything else my first pick would be mono or Swift AF 130’s.

Good post Rick, based squarely in experience and reality. I have little experience with the 270 by comparison, only going back to the 90’s, but I’ve never had any issue killing game with a 150 in the 2,800 - 2,850 range. I suppose the appeal of RL26 is that it “can” get you to 2,950 - 3,000fps… it’s a bit of a Siren’s Song, and I’m certainly one of those that have heeded it with various cartridges. Of course just because you can do something doesn’t mean you should do something. It definitely increases recoil, and mild recoil is one of the 270’s strengths.

Just some rambling thoughts on a blustery March evening…

I'm wondering about the utility of these loads as well, given the sweet-shooting and game-killing qualities of a 270 loaded with 130's at regular velocities. I'm not knocking it, if that's your thing, but when I go up from deer/elk size critters to bigger/toothier critters, I tend to go up in rifle/caliber rather than try to make my 270 do the job.

"I'm gonna have to science the schit out of this." Mark Watney, Sol 59, Mars