Originally Posted by PJ65
Getting back into backpacking and was looking into a new pack. Used an old ILBE for a few years and want to upgrade. Been looking at some of the larger Mystery Ranch packs, as I have a Sawtooth for hunting that I really like. Mostly looking at weekend trips and nothing more than 4-5 nights. Are the hunting style backpacks worth the extra money or are you better off with Osprey, Gregory, Kelty type gear? Thanks

It's a learning curve and what works for one might not for another. Since you're a backpacker that wants to use one hunting, here's my recommendation.
If you plan to haul much meat, the hunting packs are designed for heavier weights, while standard backpacks for lighter load comfort. This is a overgeneralization, but you'll want to narrow down your needs. There's too many choices these days.

You can get by with a good quality external frame pack that you might find on a weekend yard sale this Spring. They are stouter and generally made to carry more weight than the typical internal. They also provide the most lash points that cinch a load close to the back. Better than molly IMHO.
That might meet your needs at a fraction of the price and hold you over until you figure out exactly what you want to inve$t in. ...IF you decide later to get a designated hunting pack.

Another good choice would be to pick a decent freighter frame and lash one of your packs to it. That will meet most needs unless camo is important. Then you could always add a cover of your favorite one at the price of yard goods.
Your choice, customized your way, and should meet most needs without spending much and gambling on the fit/ function.