No two barrels are the same. Some are faster than others. There are many, many things contributing to speed. Most barrels speed up after broken in, and factory barrels require a little longer to break in.

Variations include chamber/throat dimensions, bore diameter variation, bore/rifling uniformity, etc. Typically with a Remington, barrels may seem slower with factory ammunition because of an overly long throat and gradual throat taper.

For the record, I've found Remington barrels to be much FASTER than other brands, though I shoot exclusively handloads. My two Remington .308 barrels have been faster than others, not slower. Both around 100 fps faster than my Tikka and similar to my Ruger. My 6.5 Creedmoor was 150 fps faster than my Tikka! My ADL .270 is right on par with Nosler data, though mine is a shorter 22" vs the 24" in the publication. In fact, the only Remington barrel I've found to be slow is my .204 Ruger and a .30-06 I was loading for for a friend.

In my opinion, if you're going to the trouble of setting back and re-chambering a factory barrel, I would start with a new barrel from a quality manufacturer. It'll add $300-400 to the cost, but will most certainly be better than Remington barrel.

Last edited by tylerw02; 04/30/22.