The Henry lever and pump 22's are a well proven design(s) that were first made by Erma-Werke in West Germany. I'm not to familiar with the full history but I have a West German made example that was marketed under the Iver Johnson name as the Wagonmaster and the pump version was the Trailmaster. From what I've read the design was acquired from Erma by Louis Imperato was is said to be the original designer and he and his son started Henry. His son is currently listed as President and owner of Henry. he previously worked for Iver Johnson. The only patent I can find relating to this design is a US one not by Louis Imperato, so I have to question him being the designer, the patent is not for the complete gun - uspto.gov/03813803 Note the patent references patents by Andrew Burgess from 1899 for a gas operated semi-auto pistol, uspto/00636196, and a Marriner A. Browning patent from 1938 assigned to the Browning Brothers Co. in Ogden Utah, uspto/02118536

The third patent referenced in the Erma patent is for a recoil operated semi-auto rifle using a lever to charge the action that was applied for in 1889 - uspto/00454993

If you compare the bottom of the pump and the lever actions the pump appears to be the same but with the lower part of the lever cut off which is the reason for the (s) in design(s).

The Ithaca Model 72 was also a version of this design.

Gene